Blog Description

This is a blog for the family and friends of Collin Park. He will be serving a two year mission in the Sierra Leone Freetown Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, he left on January 24, 2013. While Collin is on his mission his Mom will be posting pictures and letters as she gets them, the content will be straight from Collin (unless otherwise noted) - spelling and punctuation will be corrected of course! Commentary and clarification may be added by his Mom as needed.
UPDATE: Collin's mission was split in half! The Sierra Leone Mission included the country of Liberia when Collin first left. As of July 1, 2013, the mission was split along the border and the new mission created: the Liberia, Monrovia Mission. Collin will never see the country of Sierra Leone. He has been in Monrovia Liberia since he left the MTC in Ghana.
ANOTHER UPDATE: Because of the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, Liberia and Sierra Leone Missions were evacuated on August 4, 2014 and missionaries were reassigned to different missions. Collin was reassigned to the Salt Lake City Central Mission.

Monday, November 11, 2013



November 11, 2013
This week was a good week, but it started slow.  Thursday was Thanksgiving for LIB, so not a lot of people were home that day.  It was okay because I had a big long leadership training meeting that day.  It was good.  We talked about how we need to retain more people.  That night we got transfer news super late!!!

NO ONE MOVED!!!!   I will spend another 6 weeks here in Tinker Village.  It will be until just before Christmas, so I will spend almost exactly 8 months here.  The time is flying!!!  It doesn’t seem like I’ve been here that long.  Time flies when you are having fun!

Saturday was good, we had 2 people get baptized.  Dorcus Johnny and Daniel Fomba.  They are sweet!  It was a lot of fun to work with them and see them change.  Daniel went from a punky 20 year old kid with a big afro to a clean cut kid that looks like he could go on a mission.  We are going to start working with him and preparing him for that.  We have our work cut out for us.  Also that afternoon the Elder's Quorum had a reactivation activity.  We as missionaries went with some of the elders and visited the less active members and invited them to a Q/A that afternoon and to church on Sunday.  It was really good.  We didn’t quite get the turn out we wanted but it was still good.
I went with the elder's quorum president, and boy, did we walk!!!!!  We walked far and fast.   Towards the end he said that he’ll have to take some pain killers that night because he hasn’t walked like that in a very long time.  I didn’t even think it was that bad either.  At church on Sunday he said he was really sore and I just laughed. 

At church we had a TON of people!   Over 130 in attendance, and we had one of President Kirkham’s counselors there, he was really impressed.  The eight of us (there are 8 missionaries in Collin’s district working in the branch) are really working hard is what I told him.  I think that we had almost 30 non members there too.
My week was really good and hope that yours was better.
I love you all and miss you.

Elder Park
The White African
TIA

In an extra email:  Yeah, I’m staying in the same spot.  My bed hasn’t moved either.  I have slept in the same bed, same spot, walked the same paths for almost 7 months and it will be longer now too.  We’ll get transfer news probably on the 19th of December.  I’m not bummed, well I kinda am.  I wanna see something new, be somewhere new.
(someone asked me about the stars over there, this was his response)  The stars are awesome!!!  So is the moon.  Even last night or the night before I was laying in bed and I looked out the window and the moon was just staring at me, big and beautiful, half moon, just shining on me as I slept.  It was really cool.

(I asked him if he had any plans for celebrating his birthday on the 12th)  Hmmmm, I get to give a district meeting instruction, go on exchange with my zone leaders, I think.  But, I’ll probably get a soft drink to celebrate!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment