Blog Description

This is a blog for the family and friends of Collin Park. He will be serving a two year mission in the Sierra Leone Freetown Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, he left on January 24, 2013. While Collin is on his mission his Mom will be posting pictures and letters as she gets them, the content will be straight from Collin (unless otherwise noted) - spelling and punctuation will be corrected of course! Commentary and clarification may be added by his Mom as needed.
UPDATE: Collin's mission was split in half! The Sierra Leone Mission included the country of Liberia when Collin first left. As of July 1, 2013, the mission was split along the border and the new mission created: the Liberia, Monrovia Mission. Collin will never see the country of Sierra Leone. He has been in Monrovia Liberia since he left the MTC in Ghana.
ANOTHER UPDATE: Because of the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, Liberia and Sierra Leone Missions were evacuated on August 4, 2014 and missionaries were reassigned to different missions. Collin was reassigned to the Salt Lake City Central Mission.

Monday, April 07, 2014


April 7, 2014

Happy Birthday to the Truest Church on the face on the earth, yesterday.  (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was organized by Joseph Smith on April 6, 1830 by Joseph Smith, Jr.)

This week my companion and I were able to teach the most lessons I have ever taught in Upper Caldwell.  It was a great week and also very very hot!!!

A normal week here in Upper Caldwell we get about 18 to 19 lessons a week.  This week we got 25.  We were working really hard.   We decided not to stand,  but to find someone to teach.   In doing so we had to go out of both our comfort zones and contact for a little while.  My whole mission, I've only really done that once.  This mission is so unique in the fact that we don’t really have to contact much.  People walk up to us.  (I think my contacting he means going door to door to meet people)

While contacting we met a woman named Sarah.   She went to church with a member when she was very small but still remembers a lot about it, she lost contact with the church because she moved.  I’m convince that it was the Spirit that lead us up there.  I've never been there before and Thursday, we just started walking and we found her.  Miracles happen on the daily here.

What’s even more miraculous is the attendance in church, about 6 weeks ago, we counted the attendance in sacrament meeting: 20 members.  Yesterday it was 48.  The numbers seem small, but some Liberians are very stubborn.   All the missionaries were so happy at the end of church.  Sometimes, often times, we get disappointed at church, but yesterday, we were all happy!

On Wednesday evening we got a referral from the Caldwell New Georgia Elders.  Travis Kollie is so cool!!!  He is Lutheran, but hasn’t been to church in 2 years.  He knows a lot of LDS people that are in good standing and are still strong in the church.  He ran for the House of Representatives a little while ago.   We sat with him on Thursday and read a lot of scriptures about our belief of the Trinity.   He said he learned a lot.  This guy is prepared for this Gospel.  I love the opportunities we get to meet people here. 

Friday we met a man that started to ask us some simple, but doctrinal, questions.   It eventually led to him asking us this: "which birth is more miraculous?  One born with no mother no father, one born with a father but no mother, or one born with a mother but no father?"  i looked at him for a second, thought for another, and said we can say all 3 are the most miraculous.  I have had many questions asked, some very easy to answer and some that I have no idea what the answer is or might be.  This is one that I've never had in the whole of my mission.  I wonder if I'll ever meet that man again.  All I know is that our Father in Heaven works in ways that we can not comprehend.  That’s why he is God and we are his children.

My week was great, I hope that you all got to hear conference, I'll read it in a month or two!!

Elder Park
The White African
T.I.A.  

I sent him some pictures of the food we were eating during Conference – homemade cinnamon rolls and homemade café rio pork salad.  He wrote:  “I’m vexed about it...  I want good food and being able to sit on  a comfortable couch and watch conference....  i miss American food bad way.

He also added:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR MOM, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!  (on Thursday)  I love him!

No comments:

Post a Comment