Blog Description

This is a blog for the family and friends of Collin Park. He will be serving a two year mission in the Sierra Leone Freetown Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, he left on January 24, 2013. While Collin is on his mission his Mom will be posting pictures and letters as she gets them, the content will be straight from Collin (unless otherwise noted) - spelling and punctuation will be corrected of course! Commentary and clarification may be added by his Mom as needed.
UPDATE: Collin's mission was split in half! The Sierra Leone Mission included the country of Liberia when Collin first left. As of July 1, 2013, the mission was split along the border and the new mission created: the Liberia, Monrovia Mission. Collin will never see the country of Sierra Leone. He has been in Monrovia Liberia since he left the MTC in Ghana.
ANOTHER UPDATE: Because of the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, Liberia and Sierra Leone Missions were evacuated on August 4, 2014 and missionaries were reassigned to different missions. Collin was reassigned to the Salt Lake City Central Mission.

Monday, February 24, 2014

February 24, 2014

This week was great!!!  I love having great week!!  All our hard work paid off on Sunday too.  I was so happy at church!!  Also, I was laughing pretty much the whole week.  It was a fun week!!!!

I forgot what day it was but we had a lot of bounces in the morning so as we walked to another house we would pick up rocks and chuck them at lizards.  There is a crazy amount of lizards here, they are everywhere.   We got really close to hitting them, my baseball arm isn’t as it once was anymore....  but it’s okay.   We saw one on a tree and I try to hit but miss.  Then since it didn’t move, Elder Witehira tries,  nails it right in the head it was so funny!!!!   We were both all but on the ground laughing, it was great!  Then later that day we are at our Branch Presidents house eating, he cooks for us every single day, for him, he has a lot of chickens and then one small dog that we always play with.  I got a fish bone that had a lot of red oil on it and threw it at the chicken, and then the dog smells the red oil on the chicken and starts to chase it.  The dog didn’t quite catch it,  it chased it for a about 10 minutes too!  That day was full of laughing but we did manage to see some less active members and talk to them, it was a solid day.

This week we focused on finding less active members, we found a lot!  We probably found about 10 less active people.  We had at least one lesson with them and then tried to see them again during the week.  It’s always fun to talk with less active people, and having them come to church is almost as satisfying as a baptism but that’s just me.  Finding these people made a huge difference in the attendance of church! We probably had 4 times the amount of people in church as we did last week.  I was so happy.  Not all of the less active people we met with came, but some did.   It brought joy to my heart seeing them walk in.

On Thursday we had a little bit of rough lesson with Sister Hawa.   This woman is stubborn!  We had a little disagreement on a couple thing and I felt like I was a little pushy while I was there too, I walked away feeling like we had lost on investigator because of me.  I was devastated.   We invited her to pray about what we talked about and to come to church.   We extended the invitation even though we didn’t think she'd come.  To both Elder Witehira’s and my surprise, Sister Hawa walked into church.  I didn’t believe it, I had to do a double take, no joke!  This was the first time she had come to church too!

Sister Hawa wasn’t the only first timer to church either.  Sister Theresa came too!!  This woman is probably the nicest woman I've meet in LIB.   I love this woman, her story is heart breaking but she's just so happy about it.   She has to use crutches because her legs don’t function properly because of a medical mistake.  When she came into church I had a smile from ear to ear!  Sunday was a fantastic day! Definitely the highlight of the week.

There were a lot of great things that happened this week and can’t even name them all!!

I love you and miss you all!!!

Elder Park

The White African

T.I.A. 

No comments:

Post a Comment