Blog Description

This is a blog for the family and friends of Collin Park. He will be serving a two year mission in the Sierra Leone Freetown Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, he left on January 24, 2013. While Collin is on his mission his Mom will be posting pictures and letters as she gets them, the content will be straight from Collin (unless otherwise noted) - spelling and punctuation will be corrected of course! Commentary and clarification may be added by his Mom as needed.
UPDATE: Collin's mission was split in half! The Sierra Leone Mission included the country of Liberia when Collin first left. As of July 1, 2013, the mission was split along the border and the new mission created: the Liberia, Monrovia Mission. Collin will never see the country of Sierra Leone. He has been in Monrovia Liberia since he left the MTC in Ghana.
ANOTHER UPDATE: Because of the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, Liberia and Sierra Leone Missions were evacuated on August 4, 2014 and missionaries were reassigned to different missions. Collin was reassigned to the Salt Lake City Central Mission.

Monday, January 06, 2014

January 6, 2014 Welcome to 2014!!! This week was an adventure. Moving in, learning an area, going to meetings.  It was an interesting one to say the least.

Moving in is a process.   For me, I like to be organized (learned that one here).  In this apartment it’s a little different than what I’m used to.  I sleep in one room and I study in another.  I live in an apartment with a total of 8 Elders. Four of us share a room and I get to sleep on a bunk bed which I haven’t done in a long time.  It’s pretty cool though.  I’m still in the process of getting things organized the way I want it.

The apartment is really big so it doesn’t seem like there are 8 Elders here.  We share a compound with the New Georgia branch's chapel so there is always people coming in.   It’s a little different.   We are on a generator so I only get power from 7 to 10:30, living large!!!  We have a water tower that holds a ton of water, but since there is 8 of us, it only lasts about 4 days, then we just turn the gen on and pump water.

The area is well.  Let’s just say we pray for the Spirit to guide us each day.  I am at a loss as to how to get around this area.  This area is really 'bushy' as we call it here.   There is no order in how the houses are built. If there is an open spot, people will build there.  Our chapel is really cool. When you think of an African church, well, Gardnersville has it!!!  This place is so cool!!  The walls to the chapel are half walls and then poles going up for the roof so people can look inside and we can look out.   The breeze is the best part!!   No microphone, you just talk loud!!.   The rest of the class rooms are just built from mats.   I heard when it rains, everyone gets wet.  This place is awesome.   You sit inside it and you look out and all you see is a dusty road on one side and palm trees on the other.  I love it!!!  The branch seems really supportive to missionary work too so it’s going to be great.  So far, I’m liking my area.

As a ZL we have a mission council, this is just were we get instructed by President and the AP's on how they want the mission to go.  It’s really cool actually, that happened on New Years, and then this coming Saturday I will be meeting with the District Presidency to talk about missionary work.  That happens every month.  I’m still trying to figure out all my responsibilities though.  It’s a work in process.

I hope everyone had a good week and happy New Year.

Elder Park
The White African
T.I.A.

January 1, 2014   District Council
Collin's first as a Zone Leader
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment