Blog Description

This is a blog for the family and friends of Collin Park. He will be serving a two year mission in the Sierra Leone Freetown Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, he left on January 24, 2013. While Collin is on his mission his Mom will be posting pictures and letters as she gets them, the content will be straight from Collin (unless otherwise noted) - spelling and punctuation will be corrected of course! Commentary and clarification may be added by his Mom as needed.
UPDATE: Collin's mission was split in half! The Sierra Leone Mission included the country of Liberia when Collin first left. As of July 1, 2013, the mission was split along the border and the new mission created: the Liberia, Monrovia Mission. Collin will never see the country of Sierra Leone. He has been in Monrovia Liberia since he left the MTC in Ghana.
ANOTHER UPDATE: Because of the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, Liberia and Sierra Leone Missions were evacuated on August 4, 2014 and missionaries were reassigned to different missions. Collin was reassigned to the Salt Lake City Central Mission.

Monday, October 07, 2013


October 7, 2013

This week was a really good week, busy but really good.

Tuesday was moving day for everyone.  Elder Lamont, Okuronbo(?)(Nigeria), Saiya (Sierra Leone) moved into the compound.  Elder Tolar had to leave us.  Later that day my companion and I showed them their area, gave them a list of people we have contacted and had taught, we showed them their houses too.  Hopefully they will be able to have success there. 

Wednesday was just a normal day for us.  We had a lot of lessons this week because there wasn’t too many distractions.  Thank goodness, we finally got back to teaching. 

Thursday we got the new missionaries!   We got more Americans.  Elder Robb from Utah, and Elder Kaiser from Colorado.  (Elder Robb is in my apartment)  They are both way taller than me and it’s a little frustrating because I’m the second shortest....  Oh well, I go home before both of them. hahah.  we had a long time that we just sat in the apartment reading till they got there.  Thinking back,  we should have gone out and met with some people but oh well, new missionaries will come sooner or later.  I'll make that decision again. 
Friday was also normal again.  Lots of teaching which makes me happy.  We keep meeting with new people.  That’s the easy part.  The hard part is finding out how interested they truly are.  Most people aren’t.  That’s the frustrating part.   We have a lot of one time lessons.  That evening we had the Book of Mormon class.  This week I didn’t teach.  I was happy because I was exhausted!! Missionary work is no small thing.  It’s tiring, but I really enjoy it.  The Book of Mormon class is for investigators (non members that we teach) and for recent converts (people just baptized).  It’s a class that just helps people learn what it’s about and what it says. 

Saturday nothing special happened.  We got bounced a lot but we still found a way to have some lessons.  We even had a few first lessons, hopefully they will still be interested.  We had plenty lessons, but we eventually ran out. No one was home.   So we stopped.  We got home about an hour before we had to but it was good.  I was able to talk to some other elders and solve a problem between them.  Like mom’s and how they have to solve everything, that was what I had to do. ...  children :)  Funny thing is I am younger than both of them. 

Sunday we had about 100 come to church again.  It didn’t rain till later that night which was good. Lots of people came.

I hope those that saw conference loved it and learned a lot.  I might be able to see parts of it this weekend.  If not I have to wait and read it.  I miss general conference.

I love you all and miss you all

Elder Park
The White African

T.I.A.

 In an extra email he wrote to me:

I love you!!  I heard some Jon Schmidt music today and it made me think of you.  Little home sick this morning, but I’m fine. 
(I had asked about Elder Price because I got to meet and become friends with his Mom.  Elder Price just left the MTC too).  Elder Price is in a different zone and on the other side of Monrovia.  He is being trained by a South African, I think that has a click in his name.  (In an email that Elder Price wrote, he said:  My companion's name is Elder Manqana (the q stands for a *tongue click where you suction your tongue to the roof of your mouth and hit it down on the bottom*). He's from South Africa.)

I got your package last Monday after emailing. THANKS FOR THE OREOS. Only a couple are smashed. 
My time is finished.  I love you!!!

Elder Park

 

No comments:

Post a Comment