Blog Description

This is a blog for the family and friends of Collin Park. He will be serving a two year mission in the Sierra Leone Freetown Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, he left on January 24, 2013. While Collin is on his mission his Mom will be posting pictures and letters as she gets them, the content will be straight from Collin (unless otherwise noted) - spelling and punctuation will be corrected of course! Commentary and clarification may be added by his Mom as needed.
UPDATE: Collin's mission was split in half! The Sierra Leone Mission included the country of Liberia when Collin first left. As of July 1, 2013, the mission was split along the border and the new mission created: the Liberia, Monrovia Mission. Collin will never see the country of Sierra Leone. He has been in Monrovia Liberia since he left the MTC in Ghana.
ANOTHER UPDATE: Because of the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, Liberia and Sierra Leone Missions were evacuated on August 4, 2014 and missionaries were reassigned to different missions. Collin was reassigned to the Salt Lake City Central Mission.

Monday, October 14, 2013


October 14, 2013

On mission we keep really good records, and it involves recording numbers, and reporting them.  If you looked at the numbers for my companion and I, you would ask if we did anything this week. 

Let me explain why...

Tuesday was a normal day for all.  We had a district meeting as always.  I talked about the purpose of being a missionary.  

Wednesday, ha, the president of LIB flew into the country.  She was doing something with the UN.  Some people like her, some don’t.  We got a call just before we went out telling us to stay home.  There was going to be a demonstration or something that was going to happen.  We spent the whole day in the apartment.  All 8 of us.  I read, I washed, I slept, I read more, and I slept more.  A really boring day.  No lessons taught.   (I asked him about the demonstrations and he said they didn’t even happen, but they had to be on the safe side.  This is not the first time they have had to stay in the apartment because of things like this).

Thursday was a similar day, except for me I was sick (mom I’m okay, just a stomach thing, flu like symptoms.  I’m perfectly healthy now) (I’m actually surprised he added this, he told me before he left that he was never going to tell me if he was sick, he didn’t want me to worry about him – like that is not going to happen anyway!).  So two straight days in an apartment that is smaller than mom’s room....  mom, you are blessed, dad, love you buddy.  (I think he is referring to my quilt room, it’s a good size room to play in, but 8 would be a crowd!)

Friday, we had a zone meeting that took forever.  We talked about how we all need
to focus on our language, teaching, and also while we are in the apartment, we can’t be too relaxed with it. 

Saturday, I loved this day.  I called an investigator at about 11 am and told him we had a conference in town, and asked if he wanted to come.  He came to the Priesthood Session of General Conference!!!!!  SO COOL!!!  While we were in the taxi going, I was explaining what he would be seeing and hearing.  This man, James, has had troubles building a testimony.  We thought this would be perfect, and it was!!  He turned to me in the car and said, "Elder Park, I don’t have any doubts, when can I be baptized?"  This all but brought tears to my eyes.  Even though we were smashed in a car, the Spirit was there so strong!!!  It was amazing.  He loved the conference and we are planning for him to be baptized this coming Saturday.  Saturday made my week.  This is why I am serving a mission!!!  Sunday we were able to watch another session of conference.  I believe it was Sunday morning session,  but I’m not sure.   We had about 4 investigators there too.  It was a great weekend after a not very good week.  (FYI – Twice a year  we have General Conference where our church leaders speak to us.  There are 5 two hour sessions.  Because of technology, many of us are able to watch live either through cable tv or internet.  Collin is watching them probably because dvd versions have been sent to the mission.  Here is a link if you would like to check it out:  http://www.lds.org/general-conference/sessions/  )

I love this mission.  I love the people of Liberia!  I love this church.  I know it’s true!

Elder Park
The White African
T.I.A.

I sent him a picture of his friends, Josh Brewer and Hillis.  He was so happy to see that and hear how they are doing.  He said “That’s cool.  Life sounds good for them.  (Mine is better!!!)  Hahaha. 

No comments:

Post a Comment