Blog Description

This is a blog for the family and friends of Collin Park. He will be serving a two year mission in the Sierra Leone Freetown Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, he left on January 24, 2013. While Collin is on his mission his Mom will be posting pictures and letters as she gets them, the content will be straight from Collin (unless otherwise noted) - spelling and punctuation will be corrected of course! Commentary and clarification may be added by his Mom as needed.
UPDATE: Collin's mission was split in half! The Sierra Leone Mission included the country of Liberia when Collin first left. As of July 1, 2013, the mission was split along the border and the new mission created: the Liberia, Monrovia Mission. Collin will never see the country of Sierra Leone. He has been in Monrovia Liberia since he left the MTC in Ghana.
ANOTHER UPDATE: Because of the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, Liberia and Sierra Leone Missions were evacuated on August 4, 2014 and missionaries were reassigned to different missions. Collin was reassigned to the Salt Lake City Central Mission.

Monday, August 05, 2013


 
August 5, 2013

These weeks are going by way to fast... 

This week was a history setting week for me and my companion and our area.  To start, we had a TON of lessons this week.  We were literally teaching lessons all day long, every day, not a whole lot of bounces either.  This week we had more lessons than I have ever taught in my area.   We have never really had a lot of members come with us to teach, but Friday and Saturday Joseph Kumeh said he'll come with us.  It was a good experience for him.  His family has been in the church for over 20 years, so he knows the principals we teach, but he just needs to learn how to teach.  It was one thing that I struggled with for a long time when I first got here. but I worked and I got better.  It’s the same with Joseph.  We are getting him a Preach My Gospel book so he will be able to learn more. 

Young men who haven’t gone on a mission and are reading this: GO AROUND WITH THE MISSIONARIES!!!!!!

Since the new mission was created not much has changed.   We found out that the branch that I am serving in,  they are trying to make this one of the first wards.  We have been assigned one of the mission counselors to meet with the branch every week and do training.  This will be a good thing for everyone.  I feel like we can do it,  just that we need some help and motivation to do it. 

Yesterday (Sunday) we had a man walk into the church and sit down.  None of recognized him, so I went and talked with him.  He's actually our neighbor and had heard a lot of things about our church.  From what he said, he doesn’t like to believe things people say unless he sees it, so he decided to come and see.  When Sacrament meeting was almost over he leans over to me and says that everything that he has seen and heard thus far, was all good and that he was really impressed.  We took his information and will be sitting with him this week.  People like that don’t always happen to come our way but when they do it’s always fun! 

 

In my apartment we have several things that we do every week.  On P-day (preparation day), we wash and clean like usual.  Washing by hand sucks!  Go hug your washing machine. Drying takes all day and into the night.  Go hug your dryer.  Once the clothes are washed and the apartment is clean,  we eat.  Every  Monday and only Monday we boil eggs and eat boiled egg sandwiches.  It may not seem like a whole lot but it’s always fun for us.  The little things mean so much. 

LIB is too sweet.  I love it here.  Tinker Village is an amazing branch.  Home away from home.

I love all my friends and family at home and around the world.

Elder Park

The White African

T.I.A.

 

From an extra email the same morning:

I still haven’t gotten a package since late April.  Letters are never opened.

Transfers come probably on the 18th, lots of people will move.  Some areas will be white washed (meaning that the missionaries who know the area will be moved, so the new ones won’t know anyone or about anyone).  That’s next to impossible to deal with here because there are no addresses and not everyone has phones.  It'll be very interesting.

As far as changing, I have changed physically and in all the other typical ways a missionary changes.  I am back to where I was physically at the beginning of senior year.  I have been working out every morning, even today I have done about 160 pushups along with sits ups of every kind.  Tell Derek I’m coming for him!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment