Blog Description

This is a blog for the family and friends of Collin Park. He will be serving a two year mission in the Sierra Leone Freetown Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, he left on January 24, 2013. While Collin is on his mission his Mom will be posting pictures and letters as she gets them, the content will be straight from Collin (unless otherwise noted) - spelling and punctuation will be corrected of course! Commentary and clarification may be added by his Mom as needed.
UPDATE: Collin's mission was split in half! The Sierra Leone Mission included the country of Liberia when Collin first left. As of July 1, 2013, the mission was split along the border and the new mission created: the Liberia, Monrovia Mission. Collin will never see the country of Sierra Leone. He has been in Monrovia Liberia since he left the MTC in Ghana.
ANOTHER UPDATE: Because of the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, Liberia and Sierra Leone Missions were evacuated on August 4, 2014 and missionaries were reassigned to different missions. Collin was reassigned to the Salt Lake City Central Mission.

Wednesday, May 01, 2013


April 30, 2013
Hello Everybody,
Well Sunday night we got a phone call the ZL's (zone leaders), they told us that P day (Preparation Day – the day they get their laundry done, groceries, email home, …) has been moved to Tuesday.  We still don’t know why and we are supposed to get our subsistence (monthly allowance) on the 28th of each month.  So we were planning on getting it on Monday... we still don’t have that either... that’s life though!  It’s all fun and games out here in Africa.  (I found out that Saturday was a national holiday in Sierra Leone and so the banks, many internet cafĂ©’s and other businesses were closed on Monday, so I’m sure they decided to push Pday to Tuesday so that those who were in Sierra Leone could do what they needed to do on their Pday while businesses were open.  The mission home is in Sierra Leone, maybe they had problems with the bank closures that caused the delay on the subsistence thing.  Since Collin is in Liberia he didn’t see any reason for the Pday to be moved)
So transfer news came last week on Tuesday while we were moving into the new apartment.  It was a good time to pack because I got transferred.  I got transferred to a new area, and a new zone.  It’s totally different but still good.  My new companion is Elder Marondera from Zimbabwe, he has been out for about 9 months and is my district leader as well.  Very interesting to see how a DL works.  We get along great.  We teach a little differently but we will figure out a good teaching pattern that works for both of us. I got transferred to Thinkers Village, but when the people say it, it sounds like Tinkervillage.  It’s the closest area to the airport that missionaries are in right now.  It’s a good area, the people are good, and it seems like they have a lot more money on this side. Hard to explain when you can’t see it.  It’s something you have to see to understand completely.
My branch is relatively new and because of it, and how big the area is, we have 2 sets of missionaries.  We have a new meeting house, Sunday was the second time it was used.  The building is about 200 feet away from our apartment.  It’s kinda nice. I live with Elder Tolar (Texas) and Elder Udotim (Nigeria).  Our apartment is small but it’s really nice.  We don’t have power all night but I sleep next to the window and we get an ocean breeze all night so I sleep good.  Rainy season is starting soon so it will start to be cooler weather.

We had 9 people get baptized on Saturday and then confirmed on Sunday during church.  Church was very interesting.  When we woke up we got a call saying President Roggia was coming to our service... oh boy.. but it was great, a little stressful because he wanted the baptism records before he left so we had to hustle and get that done and get interviewed at the same time.  Nothing about missionary work is easy.  Saturday and Sundays are always stressful.
All missionaries have to have one bad hair cut right?  Well I got mine out of the way yesterday.  Good thing my hair grows fast.  Next time I'll cut it myself.  Lesson learned...

Not a whole lot to talk about this week because most of it was moving, packing, and cleaning.  I’m sure I'll have more to talk about next week.

I love you all and miss you all

Elder Park

The White African

T.I.A.
I got this letter on Tuesday morning, and was actually online at the time.  I was able to shoot a couple short questions back and forth to him which was almost like talking to him!  I learned the he finally got two of the packages that I sent early February and he got a few letters too.  He must have gotten a package from Aunt Jennifer because he intends to be a professional juggler by the time he gets home (thanks to the juggling balls she sent him).  He said his subsistence is about $140 US.  I also got info about the phone call on Mother’s Day – can’t wait to talk to him!  I might have to go to church at a different time since he thinks he will be able to make his call at 7pm his time which is right in the middle of the regular time I go to church.  Can’t miss my phone call!

No comments:

Post a Comment