Blog Description

This is a blog for the family and friends of Collin Park. He will be serving a two year mission in the Sierra Leone Freetown Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, he left on January 24, 2013. While Collin is on his mission his Mom will be posting pictures and letters as she gets them, the content will be straight from Collin (unless otherwise noted) - spelling and punctuation will be corrected of course! Commentary and clarification may be added by his Mom as needed.
UPDATE: Collin's mission was split in half! The Sierra Leone Mission included the country of Liberia when Collin first left. As of July 1, 2013, the mission was split along the border and the new mission created: the Liberia, Monrovia Mission. Collin will never see the country of Sierra Leone. He has been in Monrovia Liberia since he left the MTC in Ghana.
ANOTHER UPDATE: Because of the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, Liberia and Sierra Leone Missions were evacuated on August 4, 2014 and missionaries were reassigned to different missions. Collin was reassigned to the Salt Lake City Central Mission.

Tuesday, June 03, 2014

June 2, 2014

This week I walked a lot. My legs are TIRED!!!!! But it was still a good week.

We were teaching a lesson on Saturday with Emmanuel and Soloman, as we were waiting for them to grab their Book of Mormons it hit me, this mission is the best.  I was about to teach a lesson under a mango tree.  In the whole of my mission, I can count on one hand how many times I have taught a lesson inside a house.  No one is inside because it’s just too hot inside.  So we always get to teach outside.  Sometimes it’s very  distracting but the breeze is always very nice!!!  I have had many lessons under a coconut tree, palm tree, you name it, I’ve taught under it, most likely.  This mission is awesome. I can also get banana’s that were on the tree about an hour earlier for just cents. I can get a pineapple for about $2 that was freshly cut.  It’s so cool what I can find here

I have been working hard at getting better at inviting people to baptism on the first lesson.  On Saturday we met a man named Soloman (same as above).  As we sat with him we got to know that he was/is a missionary of a different church based in the bush.  He asked us about the Book of Mormon so we explained what it was and how we got it.  He seemed to accept it pretty well.   At the end of the lesson we invited him to baptism, and he accepted after we told him we can baptize more than once and we gave him Acts 19 to read.  We invited him to come to church but it didn’t seem to promising that he would come.  At the beginning of Sunday school, he walks in.  It was such a surprise to me.  I’m really excited to see him again on Tuesday.

We have a part member family that we are focusing on, George Komoyahn and his family.  We had a great lesson with them on Friday about the Book of Mormon.  They (George’s family) didn’t have any concerns.  As we walked away, Elder Witehira and I (companion exchange) were talking about the family and how ready they are for the Gospel.  I am so happy to be able to talk with this family.  The Komoyahn family is preparing to be baptized on the 5 of July.  Keep them in your prayers!!!!

On Friday I was on companion exchange with Elder Witehira.  It was a great day.  We were bounced a couple times but we still managed to get a good amount of lessons.  We knew how each other worked and taught with great unity.  Elder Witehira is a fantastic missionary.  I really enjoyed the exchange.  We were also laughing pretty much the whole day too!! The day went super fast and I was a little bummed when it was time for us to get back to the apartment.

Sunday was a good day too, lots of people came.  Naomi came, but she came late.  But since she came, it means her baptism will be this coming Friday!!! as long as her interview goes good.  I’m so excited for her.  She has changed a lot!!! She is a sweet and wonderful woman and this will be great for her.  Please keep her in your prayers as well!!

I hope that you had a great week

Elder Park
The White African
T.I.A.

Extra emails:

Well we are planning to have a baptism this week for sister Naomi.  So I‘m pretty pumped!!   We are meeting a lot of new people which is awesome.  Trokom, my blind investigator, is progressing really nicely!   I’m teaching a part member family. the wife, son and daughter all have baptism dates!!!!!!  I've never had this happen before.

Lots of things made me laugh this week.  I was on exchange with Elder Witehira on Friday and we were
laughing all day.   In the apartment we have realized that when we get home, we'll all most likely be socially awkward.  It’s fun.

Driving is something that I can’t wait for, I’m so tired of walking everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment