Blog Description

This is a blog for the family and friends of Collin Park. He will be serving a two year mission in the Sierra Leone Freetown Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, he left on January 24, 2013. While Collin is on his mission his Mom will be posting pictures and letters as she gets them, the content will be straight from Collin (unless otherwise noted) - spelling and punctuation will be corrected of course! Commentary and clarification may be added by his Mom as needed.
UPDATE: Collin's mission was split in half! The Sierra Leone Mission included the country of Liberia when Collin first left. As of July 1, 2013, the mission was split along the border and the new mission created: the Liberia, Monrovia Mission. Collin will never see the country of Sierra Leone. He has been in Monrovia Liberia since he left the MTC in Ghana.
ANOTHER UPDATE: Because of the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, Liberia and Sierra Leone Missions were evacuated on August 4, 2014 and missionaries were reassigned to different missions. Collin was reassigned to the Salt Lake City Central Mission.

Monday, July 01, 2013

July 1, 2013

The Sierra Leone Freetown Mission was split this weekend and the new Liberia, Monrovia Mission was created.   Collin will be in the Liberia Monrovia Mission. 
 
HELLO FROM THE LIBERIA MONROVIA MISSION!!!!!!!

Holy cow it's already July.... where did June go???

This week was a lot of fun and went way too fast!!!
Since my companion is a district leader, he goes on exchanges with the zone leaders every transfer, so I got to go to a different area with Elder Kouao again,  he's from Ivory Coast and trained my trainer, so he's my grandpapi.  Those two days went super fast!!!  I learned a couple things about how I can become a better teacher, how I can simplify some of the principals that we teach.  I went on Tuesday to his area and came back Thursday.  Nothing like sleeping in your own bed, if I can call it 'mine.' 
Thursday was a normal day back in my own area.  Friday we had to go to Redlight, which is probably the biggest market in Liberia, it's crazy.  We spent a lot of time there.  We did have a couple lessons when we got back which was good. 
 
 
Saturday was the best.  It started with a baptismal service for the other Elders in the branch.  it was really spiritual.  Most Liberians don't show emotion, it's a sign of weakness they say.  The man who was baptized teared up and was choked up.   To see that happen is no small thing, it never happens. 


We went and taught one lesson after the baptism.  During the lesson we got a call from Elder Tolar, he's in my district and apartment, saying come to Vicky Cooper's house now.   We finished the lesson and left right away.   We get to the house and there were the materials to finish her matted house.  so we got to work.  We missionaries, still in our white shirts, took our ties off,  and start to build a matted house.  No one showed us how, no one really helped us, but we did it.  I never thought I would build a house here, but I did.  Vicky helped when we needed her, but you call tell she was just so thankful.  When we finished with the materials, she said under her breath, 'what a testimony builder this was.'  I don't know if she knows that we all heard it but it makes me just smile.  This is true missionary work.  Teaching the people here the gospel is great, but there are times we need to go a step farther.  Saturday we did that for Vicky.  I'm a little disappointed with the branch for being super slow on getting involved but we are going back on Tuesday to finish the job so she can move in. 
 
President Kirkham flew in last night around 6pm.  Tomorrow I will have an interview with him.  My Zone Leader said to plan for a 30 minute interview with him.  Hmmm, this will be interesting.  I wonder what we'll talk about.  Wednesday will be an all Liberia Zone Conference.   That'll be sweet because they use up the whole day and we get really good food!!!!   This week will FLY BY!!!!!!   I hope we will have some time for lessons this week.  We also get transfer news either Wednesday or Sunday.  We'll see what happens!!!!   I have a feeling that I will be staying where I am and will receive a new companion.  We get new missionaries on the 9th.  This mission is growing fast! 
 
Liberia is sweet and the church is true.


I love you all and miss you.


Elder Park
 
The White African
T.I.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment