Blog Description

This is a blog for the family and friends of Collin Park. He will be serving a two year mission in the Sierra Leone Freetown Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, he left on January 24, 2013. While Collin is on his mission his Mom will be posting pictures and letters as she gets them, the content will be straight from Collin (unless otherwise noted) - spelling and punctuation will be corrected of course! Commentary and clarification may be added by his Mom as needed.
UPDATE: Collin's mission was split in half! The Sierra Leone Mission included the country of Liberia when Collin first left. As of July 1, 2013, the mission was split along the border and the new mission created: the Liberia, Monrovia Mission. Collin will never see the country of Sierra Leone. He has been in Monrovia Liberia since he left the MTC in Ghana.
ANOTHER UPDATE: Because of the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, Liberia and Sierra Leone Missions were evacuated on August 4, 2014 and missionaries were reassigned to different missions. Collin was reassigned to the Salt Lake City Central Mission.

Monday, March 18, 2013


March 18, 2013

Hello friends and family!

This week was good but somewhat long.

We had 3 people get baptized on Saturday!  Clarence Chea, Clinton Chea, and Linda Bengamin.  It was sweet!!   Clarence and Linda asked me to baptize them.  It always stuns me when they ask me to baptize them but I always graciously accept.  Saturday mornings are my favorite because of the baptisms.  The Spirit is always so strong there!   Then on Sunday, man was that a long day, we had 5 people get confirmed.  Two people weren’t able to come to church after their baptisms (last week?).  I was able to confirm 2 of the 5 people and give them the gift of the Holy Ghost.   Once again the Spirit was so strong.   It was so sweet.  All these people are going to be strong members and I think Clarence wants to go on a mission when he is old enough, he is 12.

On the 3rd Sunday of every month it’s Missionary Sunday.  The full time missionaries give talks in sacrament meeting, and all the lessons are based around missionary work.  I talked about the Holy Ghost, or the Spirit.  It was good because of how many people received the gift of the Holy Ghost right before.  The Holy Ghost does so many things for us.  He testifies of truth to us, comforts us in times of need, lets us know that the ordinances that we complete are done in a way that is pleasing to the Lord.  He's so sweet.  As a missionary, he helps me more than I can even understand. He helps me with things that I need to say.  He puts words into my mouth and speaks to people through me.  It’s sweet.

I was also able to teach the young men’s class.  We talked about how we can prepare to be a missionary, quite simply, read your scriptures!   But don’t just read, study the scriptures.  Pray with real intent.  Pray for the Holy Ghost to be with you.  Pray to know when the Spirit is prompting you.  Go to all the church meetings, seminary, Sunday meetings, conferences, anything that you can go to. But, all in all, one can never really be ready for a mission.  There is always something more for you to learn or to become better at.

Transfers were announced late last Monday and happened today.  For me and Elder Skouson, we stayed the same.  Elder Elliot is now training Elder Erickson from America who will be coming later this week. Elders Humpfreys and Zolo both left, they were supposed to open a new area in the bush (not the city, not developed) but there was som (????  he didn’t finish the sentence)

Liberia is so sweet. the sun is plenty and I’m not getting burnt anymore when I forget to put sunscreen on.  I’m doing good and I love being a missionary!

Love you and miss you

Elder Park

No comments:

Post a Comment