Blog Description

This is a blog for the family and friends of Collin Park. He will be serving a two year mission in the Sierra Leone Freetown Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, he left on January 24, 2013. While Collin is on his mission his Mom will be posting pictures and letters as she gets them, the content will be straight from Collin (unless otherwise noted) - spelling and punctuation will be corrected of course! Commentary and clarification may be added by his Mom as needed.
UPDATE: Collin's mission was split in half! The Sierra Leone Mission included the country of Liberia when Collin first left. As of July 1, 2013, the mission was split along the border and the new mission created: the Liberia, Monrovia Mission. Collin will never see the country of Sierra Leone. He has been in Monrovia Liberia since he left the MTC in Ghana.
ANOTHER UPDATE: Because of the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, Liberia and Sierra Leone Missions were evacuated on August 4, 2014 and missionaries were reassigned to different missions. Collin was reassigned to the Salt Lake City Central Mission.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013


Every once in a while I get to be on a computer, no real set P-day (preparation day – used for doing laundry, writing letters, some down time) since we're only here 12 days total. We are going to the temple on Monday. I think it'll be just the missionaries there. 

My companion’s name is Elder Gyewu-appaih. (jew a piah). He's loud. We get along pretty well but he teaches a different way than i do, but we make it work. We teach “investigators,” basically just the teachers role playing, but even with fake investigators, I’m really feeling and noticing how the spirit guides. It’s incredible. Teaching is a lot of fun, but everything puts me to sleep. It might just be because of the time change, but i don’t know. I’m getting better at staying awake now that I've been here a few days. 

The days are super long. I wake up at 6 am and go to bed at 10.30 pm and every minute is mapped out. It’s tiring but sometimes fun. Teaching is fun, everything else is boring. I’m definitely glad Pres. Duce made me read Preach My Gospel. I feel like I’m a little better prepared to teach than the other missionaries, mostly the African. I’m not trying to toot my own horn or anything. This is probably the first time they've seen the PMG book. The Africans definitely humble me every day. They have nothing and are still so happy. You look at the stuff the Americans have and it’s shirt after shirt after shirt.... and these Africans have maybe 3 if their lucky. I haven’t been here a week and I’m already so grateful for the luxuries I have that I have taken for granted. 

The food is actually really good, a little spicy but not too bad. We actually had french fries the other day. I took a picture. I have been taking lots of pictures already. No princess beds (the netting things used over beds to keep out the bugs) yet because all the windows have screens so we don’t have to worry so much. I’m taking my malaria pills religiously.

I’m out of time, I wrote a letter home earlier. There’s a couple in there for friends.

Love you all.
Elder Park

If you are a lucky recipient of one of Collin’s letters, I will send them to you when I get them. He did not send any pictures, if and when I get them I will post them.

No comments:

Post a Comment